Thursday 19 May 2016

Rejection

I've had a long break from painting. Life got in the way as it sometimes does, but I don't think that was the main reason. All through my life I have painted a lot for a few months and then stopped for long periods. In 2013/14 it felt different. I really felt like I was getting somewhere with my painting, but I began to concentrate on railway paintings. Someone suggested that I should try to join The Guild Of Railway Artists. I sent in my application, but it was rejected. It was that rejection that put the final nail in the coffin. If those paintings I submitted to the GRA were ever destroyed, I would not repaint them. I think a painting is a one off and cannot be repeated, but if it could, I would not change a thing. I would want them to be exactly as they were. So my conclusion is that I am 100 percent satisfied with those paintings. I  looked to the GRA for recognition as a railway artist and perhaps to be noticed. I will not submit another application to them. I don't think I have anything more offer. I like what I paint and just occasionally I notice that somebody somewhere does appreciate my work, even if it's just finding a painting on Pinterest, pinned in amongst some incredible work by famous artists or pinned by Daler Rowney, who manufacture fine art materials. These small victories are a big vote of confidence that really make me want to paint again and I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment