Monday 24 June 2013

Mystery Solved

I don't know if you have read my profile on my website, but if you have you will know that my past painting has been sporadic to say the least. I painted several oil paintings in the early eighties, but twice as many that I never finished and I gave up painting. I didn't have the patience for oil painting. After meeting another artist who showed me some examples of impressionist watercolour paintings from some of the best artists of the time, I gave painting another go. This was much better as I could now finish paintings quicker, using watercolours. This meant lots of paintings and everyone being completed. This was in the late eighties and early 1990. By the end of 1990, I had stopped painting again. I didn't paint again until I moved to Sweden in 2005. By the end of 2005, the paintings had stopped yet again.
In May of this year, I began painting again. So far, I've painted nine paintings. I'm just warming up still, but much more confident. The only thing that's been worrying me is, how long will it go on? Each painting that I complete, I ask myself, is this the last? If I paint something really bad, will that kill off my enthusiasm? I must admit, I struggled with two or three of my latest paintings. They took far too long to complete. I felt like the end was nigh. However, I have finally realised what it was that caused me to stop painting before. It's so obvious (if I'm right). In 1990, my first child was born and another three years later. They grew up, but in 2005, another baby was born. Sounds like a pretty convincing reason why I might have been distracted from painting. Only time will tell, but there's no babies on the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment