Tuesday 14 May 2013

Taking The P

I must admit that I am a bit surprised by some of the work that has sold on Fine Art America lately. The first one I noticed , was a photo of an urinal. That was followed by images of a roll of pink toilet paper and a microscope view of vaginal cancer. Now somebody has bought a print of a flattened, rusty Pepsi can. I'm not having a go at the artists/photographers that sold these prints, good luck to them, but I'm asking the buyers, couldn't they have found something better? Did they make their purchases as a joke? There is so much fantastic art available to buy. What makes an art collector go for these types of images? I can look at all sorts of art and appreciate it and the work that has gone into it and there are so many such artworks, that I just  can't look at them all. So how do these strange and vulgar pieces of work get attention and even sold? I don't know the answer, but I feel they are making fun of the many brilliant artists out there and especially those who are struggling to make a living at it. I wouldn't put myself in that category but I would like to be there one day. One of my next pieces of work is called "The Final Frontier 5 (or maybe 6 or both)". This is also a "toilet paper" photo, but my image, although having a laugh, would look good on anyone's wall. It's the result of my creative mind and hopefully will provoke curiosity from those who view it. Yes, I'm having a laugh, but not at the expense of other artists. I want them to laugh with me. The biggest difference  between my artwork and those I first mentioned in this post, is that my work will not sell.

No comments:

Post a Comment