Thursday 30 May 2013

Time Is Running Out

Soon I must return to my normal job, that of carpenter/builder. In my heart I am an artist and always will be. In the last six weeks, I have been clutching at the straws of the life I have always wanted but dared not to venture into. From the time I left school, I wanted to be an artist, but I was pointed in the wrong direction by teachers. My art teacher obviously didn't spot any talent because I got no encouragement there. My teachers told me I should follow the subjects I did best in. It wasn't what I really wanted but I didn't have any other options open to me. My father died unexpectedly when I was 14 and I lost someone who would probably have given me invaluable guidance at that particular crossroads of life.

Throughout my life, I have had moments when I could no longer suppress my desire to paint and this is one of them. I have given myself a crash course in social media and websites etc. etc. I have uploaded as much artwork to the Internet as I can and I'm still uploading. I've painted new stuff, entered a whole load of contests, but I suppose six weeks is not anywhere near enough time to get noticed. However, at least my work is there for everyone to see now. I don't paint a load of weird and wonderful paintings, but pictures where people can see what they are (and I'm not having a go at weird and wonderful art because I appreciate that too, it's just not my style). Some of my photos have been very abstract though! I'm not changing my style or what I paint just to find buyers. I hope one day, I will find my audience. This time, I'm not giving up. Soon, it's back to building for me. I need to feed my family, but maybe one day things will be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment